Nara Normande’s beautiful animated short Guaxuma shares the story of a blossoming childhood friendship that is cut short. The award-winning film mixes several animation techniques all connected to sand. Guaxuma has now won prizes at SXSW, Palm Springs, Hamptons, Cinequest selected at TIFF, Annecy and LA Shorts.
Tayra and I grew up on a beach in the northeast of Brazil. We were inseparable. The sea breeze brings me back happy memories.
Writer/Director Nara Normande was born in Guaxuma and later moved to Recife, where a new generation of Brazilian directors were about to emerge. In 2014, she co-directed with Tião a live-action fiction, Sem Coração, that received the Illy Prize of Best Short Film at the Director’s Fortnight.
Producer Damien Mehgerbi and Justin Pechberty created their production company Les Valseurs in 2013, in 2018 their animated film Wicked Girl was the first animation to win the Grand Prix at Clermont-Ferrand, before winning the César. They have produced 20 short films, including QIU Yang’s She Runs (Leitz Discovery award at International Critics Week, Cannes 2019), Nara Normande’s Guaxuma and Yves Piat’s Nefta Football Club (Oscar-qualified for 2020, Audience Award & Best Comedy at Aspen Shortsfest, Audience Award at Clermont-Ferrand and Florida Film Festival). Their first live-action feature, Fendas, directed by Carlos Segundo will premiere at FIDMarseille in July 2019.
Guaxuma qualified to be considered for the 2020 Academy Awards after winning four top prizes at SXSW, Palm Springs, Hamptons and Cinequest.
A List of awards by Guaxuma:
- Anima Mundi | Canal Brasil Prize | Brazil (2018)
- Festival de Gramado | Grand Prize Best Short| Brazil (2018)
- Hamptons International Film Festival | Best Documentary Short | USA (2018)
- Ottawa International Animation Film Festival | Best Narrative Short | Canada (2018)
- Animatou, Festival international du film d’animation | Mention spéciale du jury compétition Doc’Anim | Switzerland (2018)
- Animanima | Mention Spécial du jury | Serbia (2018)
- Internationale Kurzfilmtage Winterthur | Youth Prize 16+ | Switzerland (2018)
- Chicago International Children’s Film Festival | Youth Jury: Best Animated Short, 1st Prize | USA (2018)
- Saõ Paulo International Short Film Festival | ABCA prize of Best Animation | Brésil（2018)
- Saõ Paulo International Short Film Festival | Public Prize | Brésil（2018)
- Festival de Brasília | Best Direction | Brésil（2018)
- Festival de Brasília | Best Art Direction | Brésil（2018)
- Festival de Brasília | Best Soundtrack | Brésil（2018)
- Goiânia Mostra Curtas | Best Short | Brésil（2018)
- Festival Du Film Court de Villeurbanne | Best Animation | Brésil（2018)
- Panorama Internacional Coisa de Cinema | Indielisboa Prize | Brésil（2018)
- Panorama Internacional Coisa de Cinema | APC Prize | Brésil (2018)
- Mostra de Cinema de Gostoso | Best Short | Brésil（2018)
- Riga International Film Festival 2ANNAS | Best Animation | Lettonie (2018)
- Mostra de Cinema de Londrina | Best Direction | Brésil（2018)
- Mostra de Cinema de Londrina | Best Art Direction | Brésil（2018)
- FestCine Recife | Best Animation | Brésil（2018)
- FestCine Recife | Best Editing | Brésil（2018)
- FestCine Recife | ABCA Prize | Brésil（2018)
- Tindirindis International Animated Film Festival | Special Mention | Lithuania (2018)
- International Film Festival Zoom-Zblizenia | THE BEST ANIMATED FILM award | Poland (2019)
- SXSW, South by Southwest Film Festival | Best Animated Short | USA (2019)
- Cinequest Film Festival | Best Animated Short | USA (2019)
- Festival international du film de Guadalajara | Rigo Mora International Award – Best Animated Short | Mexico (2019)
- Les Nuits MED | Le Prix Max Linder | France (2019)
- Premios Quirino | Best Short Award | Tenerife, Espagne(2019)
- Rencontre du Cinéma Européen | Prix Cinécran | France (2019)
- Indie Lisboa | Short Film Award | Portugal (2019)
- Indie Lisboa | Macao Tourism Award – Best Animated Short | Portugal (2019)
- Indie Lisboa | School Award | Portugal (2019)
- Aspen ShortsFest | Special Mention for Animation | USA (2019)
- Plein la Bobine | Prix du Jury Professionnel | France (2019)
- Palm Springs | Best International Short | USA (2019)
- Manlleu Film Festival | Audience Award | Spanish (2019)
Tell us what you think of the “Nara Normande made a Quadruple Oscar-qualifying animation in ‘Guaxuma’”. What are you thinking? What more information do you need? Do you have any suggestions? Or did this help you? Lets have your comments below and/or on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram! Or join me on Twitter @oladapobamidele
Executive Producer Franklin Eugene; ‘How I Fashioned, The Shepherd, a WW2 Film in Nazi Occupied Hungary’
The more energy you put into it, the more energy the Universe will give you from it.
The post Nara Normande made a Quadruple Oscar-qualifying animation in ‘Guaxuma’ appeared first on indieactivity.